This is a list that I’m constantly changing. As a podcast listener, I find that it’s hard to keep up with all the podcasts about Design, Photography or Freelancing, so here is my list of podcasts that I’m listening to. Feel free to add the ones I’m not listening to yet on the comments.
All the links here lead to the iTunes Store. Happy listening!
Last Update: May 28, 2011, New Podcasts in bold
- 36 Point: The Reflex Blue Show Focusing on design, and the hosts’ love of pop culture, The Reflex Blue Show gives you a look into the topics of graphic design by two people working in the industry. The Reflex Blue Show with Nate Voss and Donovan Beery is hosted by 36Point.com.
- Accident Hash: Boston based PodShow music podcast playing nothing but the best mix in podsafe music. Looking for great new tunes? Look no further! Hosted by C.C. Chapman.
- After Dark: This is what happens after Dan and his co-hosts hit “STOP” and their official shows are over. Behind the scenes, casual, unedited, and uncensored. Hosted by Dan Benjamin.
- Back to Work: Merlin Mann and Dan Benjamin on productivity, communication, work, barriers, constraints, tools, and more. Hosted by Dan Benjamin and Merlin Mann.
- BeatWeek Magazine: Free subscription to Beatweek Magazine – music. iPhone. iPad. iPod. podcasting. social media. more. PDF Download.
- The Big Web Show: The Big Web Show features special guests and topics like web publishing, art direction, content strategy, typography, web technology, and more. It’s everything web that matters. Hosted by Dan Benjamin and Jeffrey Zeldman.
- BOAG World Show and Boagworld’s boos (Quick Tips) by the guys from BoagWorld.com: Paul Boag and Marcus Lillington.
- Creatively Using the Creative Suite: By Erik Bernskiold, Learn how to utilize the Adobe Creative Suite for Creative creations while learning tricks, tools and techniques at the same time. In the podcast we’ll be each week creating something that could well be from any real-world situation (sometimes fictional situations, sometimes real), things that you need to do in every-day work! Also available in HD!
- Designer’s Guide to Marketing and Pricing (Now called Marketing Mentor) by Ilise Benun and Peleg Top.
- Design Matters: With Debbie Millman: President of the National AIGA, Voice America Business show. She has the coolest guests!
- Dirty Words Design Podcast: By Adam Jury, a video podcast about Adobe InDesign and Graphic Design. Host Adam Jury brings you InDesign tips, tricks and “dirty” solutions for sticky problems. This isn’t a “best practices” guide–this is problem-solving and making the best out of a bad situation. The videocast will also cover InDesign plug-ins, Photoshop, related resources, and maybe some relevant-to-designers OS X stuff as well.
- Enough: At what point does technology cross the line from not quite to too much? How does one find the balance that is “enough”? Enough – The Minimal Mac Podcast helps to explore these ideas and help you find that answer that is right for you.
- Frederick Van: In-depth interviews with creative industry insiders.
- The Freelance Radio Show: Twice monthly podcast dedicated to helping self-employed professionals and contractors navigate the ups and downs of being in business for themselves. Broadcasted monthly, the show features Dickie Adams, Kristen Fischer and Von Glitschka.
- Geek Girls Guide: Nancy Lyons and Meghan Wilker launched the Geek Girls Guide in January 2008 as a place to publish their perspective on the Interactive industry and demystify technology for non-technical audiences. Their mission is to make web technology accessible and exciting and cultivate a movement of empowered women and men online by hosting safe, welcoming places to ask technology questions online and in real life; and educating non-technical audiences on the practical applications of Internet technology.
- The Hollywood Podcast Los Angeles actor/writer, Tim Coyne, goes behind the scenes in the city of dreams. Interviews and storytelling. Check his Unkempt series. That’s the best heart felt story telling you’ll experience. While you’re at it, buy his Unkempt book here.
- InDesign Conference Podcast: from MOGO Media, are getting back on track releasing new content! Two new videos just added.
- InDesign Secrets InDesign Secrets, hosted by David Blatner and Anne-Marie Concepcion, provides Adobe InDesign tips, techniques, answers, and of course … secrets … about the design professional’s page-layout program of choice. they have the best InDesign and Adobe pro’s from all over the world checking in as guests and help all of us layout designers.
- Let’s Talk Mistakes: Mike Monteiro and Katie Gillum of Mule Design talk mostly about design and how to do it, with a few tangents along the way.
- Managing the Gray: New Media and marketing podcast teaching you how to survive in this changing world. Weekly tips, insights and interviews on how you and your business can embrace the world of new marketing and advertising.Engage the evolution with your Boston based host C.C. Chapman – One of the authors of Content Rules. you can read a very nice review of the book here.
- Marketing Over Coffee: Marketing over coffee is a weekly discussion of what’s new in marketing with John Wall and Christopher Penn.
- PhotoFocus Podcast: Photofocus is a one-stop online media site for serious amateur and emerging professional photographers interested in learning more about photography. The bulk of its posts are tips, tricks, news and reviews, aided by interviews with prominent photographers, educational screencasts and a very active community of engaged readers who regularly comment. Photofocus‘ mission is to motivate, educate, inform and entertain. Some of the guests who have appeared on the Photofocus podcast with Scott Bourne include Scott Kelby, Kevin Kubota, Chase Jarvis, Vince Laforet, Tamara Lackey, Jules Bianchi, Sara France, Joe Farace, David DuChemin, Syl Arena, Kerry Garrison, Steve Simon, Martin Bailey, Matthew Jordan Smith, Jerry Ghionis and Frederick Van Johnson. they have awesome Giveaways and Reviews.
- Print Podcast: The Print Podcast is about printing news, trends and creative uses of printing and graphic design in advertising, marketing and corporate communications.
- Rookie Designer: Rookie Designer is the podcast for the not-so-accomplished designer. See the world of graphic and multimedia design through the eyes of a beginner, and acquire the skills necessary to become a veteran designer. Discussion will include design techniques, workflow solutions, business practices, application specific tips and tutorials, and general graphic and multimedia topics. Hosted by yours truly and Jake Van Ness!
- Six Pixels of Separation: Six Pixels of Separation – The Twist Image Blog is marketing and communications insights from the edge. If blogs, podcasts, viral marketing, consumer generated content, search engine marketing and anything related to digital marketing or interactive marketing are on your radar, this Montreal based business blog is for you. Mitch Joel will unravel the complex world of new marketing and social media with the perspective of a digital marketing agency based in Canada. The Six Pixels Of Separation podcast and The Montreal Business Book Club are also here. Join the digital marketing conversation. Take part in the new marketing discussion. Stay tuned to see how this interactive agency in Canada is making a digital difference. While marketers still struggle to understand online marketing, an entirely new generation of marketing opportunities is already taking place and they’re being created by your customers. The Twist Image blog is here for all of your digital marketing adventure.
- Stuttering is Cool: A podcast for stutterers to leave messages which I play on my show. Radical idea, I know, but it’s always great to meet (and hear) fellow stutterers. If you stutter, or just curious about stuttering, you may enjoy this show!
- Tips from the Top Floor: Short and sweet – with non-techy tips that you can put to use immediately. Covers everything from image composition to post processing. No matter if you use a digital point-and-shoot or an expensive digital SLR. With a good sense of humour, Chris Marquardt manages to convey tips for the beginner as well as the professional photographer. And if you ever get a chance to sign up for any of his workshops… Do it! Best money you can spend!
- WorkAwesome: WorkAwesome is the podcast adjunct to the WorkAwesome website. This weekly podcast will feature tips and tricks, motivation and inspiration, reviews and interviews – and much more. Hosted by WorkAwesome editor Mike Vardy, the aim of the podcast is to bring you some of the things we’re doing at the website in a different context – and with additional content to boot.
- YourWorkflow: We talk to developers, designer, coders, entrepreneurs about what they do and the tools they use to do it. I was interviewed on Curtis second Episode! It was a fun interview with plenty of Software recommendations!
Down here are the podcasts that have been retired (production stop or they are on an infinite hiatus) and some others that are just used as archives. Still good episodes to listen to!
Retired Podcasts: (but wish them all to come back!)
- App Clinic: AppClinic (formerly Quicktips for designers) covers many of the major titles in professional graphic, web and media design software in a video tutorial format. Covered are tips, techniques and best practices to enhance your design workflow and knowledge of the applications.
- Chef Mark’s Daily Cooking Tips: Great tips by Mark from the ReMarkable Pallete… Sweet little tips for better cooking! Chef Mark Tafoya is owner of the ReMARKable Palate Personal Chef Service in New York City and Executive Producer of the Culinary Media Network. He shares daily tips and tricks from a Chef’s kitchen to make your home cooking better!
- The Conversation: A talk show featuring discussions with special guests, the latest tech and development news, and your calls. Hosted by Dan Benjamin.
- CreativeXperts: CreativeXpert is a podcast series featuring interviews with web designers and other creative experts about their careers, techniques and inspiration. Guests include Halvorson, Zeldman, Marcotte, Wilkinson, Rubin, Santa Maria and more. Hosted by web designers Eric Anderson and Alan Houser for web designers like you.
- Daily Photo Tips with Chris: Daily photo tips from Chris Mardquart from Tips from the Top Floor: Here’s your daily dose of photography with Chris Marquardt, host of the award-winning Tips from the Top Floor photography show. Individual episodes of this stream are typically under 3 minutes.
- The Design Guy by Anthony Rotolo: The show that explores timeless design principles and explains them simply. We discuss graphic design in particular, and design in general, to equip you with lessons in process, inspiration, and practice. Get a new concept under your belt in mere minutes and unleash your creativity.
- Design Tools Weekly by Jay Nelson and Jeff Gamet: Design Tools Weekly hosts Jay Nelson and Jeff Gamet summarize the industry news, software, tips, and bug fixes that matter to designers everywhere.
- The InDesigner by Michael Murphy: A podcast for graphic designers using InDesign who want to tap into the power of Adobe’s page-layout powerhouse to accomplish big tasks easily and free up their time to concentrate on designing.
- Media HacksBy Mitch Joel, Chris Brogan, C.C. Chapman, Hugh McGuire, Christopher S. Penn & Julien Smith: Media Hacks is all about media, technology, publishing, Internet culture and how to build a community. The twice-monthly audio program is a lively debate featuring some of the top names in Marketing, Communications, Publishing and New Media.
- Quick Tips from The Design O’Blog by Niki Brown: Quick tips are focused on providing helpful design tutorials packed with helpful information in less than 5 minutes! You can follow Niki on Twitter @nikibrown
- Tag Sharp: Tack Sharp is a podcast about the art and science of photography, equipment, gear, and techniques, with topics and discussions geared toward both professional and hobbyist photographers. Hosted by Dan Benjamin and Duncan Davidson.
- The Web 2.0 Show by Josh Owens and Adam Stacoviak: The Web 2.0 Show is an audio-based podcast that profiles the Entrepreneurs, Businesses and Technologies of Web 2.0. We want to know it all, how was the business built, where did the founders meet, why did or did they not take on any funding to get started. We like to ask the tough hard to answer questions. Sure the technical aspects of the conversations are interesting, but the most important pieces of these conversations are the stories that tie it all together.
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman Archive: 2005-2009 By Design Observer: Design Matters with Debbie Millman is an opinionated and provocative internet talk radio show. The show combines a stimulating point of view about graphic design, branding and cultural anthropology. In a business world dependent on change, design is one of the few differentiators left.
- Freelance Radio By FreelanceSwitch.com: The panel of experts from FreelanceSwitch.com bring you advice, tips and resources for freelancers every episode. Whether you’re freelancing full-time, doing side contract jobs or just starting to think about your own freelance switch, tune in to learn more about our chosen way of life.
- Instant InDesign Video Podcast by Gabriel Powell: A very cool InDesign Video podcast that helps you go through several of the advanced features.This is a great companion to the book from Adobe Press under the same name.